Thread: Speculation: Which Big Salaried Forward Goes?
View Single Post
Old
05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
how can anyone not choose patty after what has transpired thus far
The reason I would choose Patty is that it's the easy way out in terms of looking at the other options (Nabokov and Blake notwithstanding). Moving Setoguchi or Pavelski is not happening. Getting Joe Thornton to waive his NTC is not realistic. Getting Dany Heatley to waive his NMC is not realistic.

By process of that sort of elimination, I can understand why one would choose Patty. He's not having the greatest playoffs in terms of point production but he's not being a liability out there. His defensive play gets lost in the shuffle on the player analysis because people get absolutist when it comes to the playoffs and if you don't have the offensive numbers, you're apparently useless because apparently the 3rd and 4th liners can do his job just as well.

He's been doing a lot of the little things right more often than not. Yes there have been times where he hasn't but if you look close enough, it's outweighed by the things he's done right.

The one thing people simply don't get is that it's not the offensive production you'd be missing by letting Marleau go. It's the speed. That helps in many different aspects and you need that in your top six. I'm sorry but relying on Devin Setoguchi at his age to be your only quick guy is not appealing and there is nobody that can replace him in that regard coming up or in the free agent market.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote