Thread: Post-Game Talk: So...you still wanna fire Homer?
View Single Post
Old
05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
maybe, but sometimes you have to disregard sunk costs, and sell low before you sell lower. If moving Harts, even for little return, opens up cap room to address goaltending and line balance, I'm all for it.
Everyone talks about addressing goaltending this offseason... but what's really out there? What have Nabokov and Turco proven beyond the regular season? I'm just not sure it's the best strategy to throw an obscene amount of money at two guys who will both be 35 at the start of next season. Even if Turco doesn't demand a high salary (Nabokov will), he's definitely on the downside of his career (hasn't posted a save % above .913 since 2002-2003) and, in my opinion, a poor investment. Who else is on the market? Dan Ellis? One good season. Chris Mason? Solid, I guess, but not exactly someone I'd consider the answer to our goaltending woes. Vesa Toskala? Gross. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to sign one of these guys. Obviously, it's a shame that Hiller and Rinne both re-signed with their current teams instead of testing the free agent waters.

I guess the other option is to trade for a goalie, but, again, who's out there? Carey Price? Maybe he needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track, or maybe he actually is damaged goods. Philly isn't Montreal, but it's not exactly the easiest place for a mentally fragile goalie to play, either. Huet and his inflated salary? No way. Tomas Vokoun? Say goodbye to one of JVR or Giroux, in addition to something else. Cory Schneider (for the umpteenth time)? Intriguing, but it'd be his first year starting full-time in the NHL. On several occasions people have mentioned Josh Harding, who won't be getting a chance to start in Minnesota, so long as Backstrom is around. But again, just like with Schneider, it'd be his first year as a full-time starter in the NHL. With the team we currently have (specifically referring to the ages of Pronger and Timonen), I'm afraid we don't have the luxury of betting on an unproven goalie. I suppose Tim Thomas is an option, but he's another older guy (36) with a considerable salary ($5M per season through 2012-2013) of whom I'd be wary. In the end, however, he's the guy I could see ending up as the most realistic option.

I am, however, interested in how the Flyers supposed pursuit of this Sergei Bobrovsky kid turns out. If nothing else, I'd be excited to see how he performs in camp. Would he be someone I'd be comfortable betting on for the 2010-2011 season? At this point, of course not because he's completely unproven on this side of the pond. I'll have to see him in person before I make any judgments, but he's an intriguing prospect to keep a close eye on.

All in all, this offseason is a total toss-up in terms of what Homer decides to do about goaltending. Whatever the case, something must be done to solidify the position, especially after the Ray Emery fiasco of a gamble.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote