Thread: Speculation: Which Big Salaried Forward Goes?
View Single Post
Old
05-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, Patty could well be the odd man out this offseason. (And I'm even factoring out Nabby first and signing a UFA like Biron, Ellis or Toskala for $2.5-$3m.)

While it would suck to lose Patty's speed and defensive abilities in the top 6, $5m - $6m (or even more) is a lot to pay for those assets + a "bit of scoring in the playoffs". And if it comes at the expense of Clowe/Pavs/Seto (or 2 of those 3), I wouldn't advocate that. I think a rotation of Mitchel/Malhotra (assuming he's re-signed)/Ferreiro as the other winger for Jumbo & Heater, could work out fine.

To be fair to Patty, he did a lot of little things well in Game 2... effectively pushed Lidstrom (and the puck) along the boards through the neutral zone... Hemmed in the Wings for a good 20-30 seconds with 2 minutes left in the game. Those qualities are underappreciated unfortunately.

On Seto, my hope is since he's only 23, he'll learn the defensive side. Patty, as I recall, had defensive lapses when he was the same age.
This is a very sensible stance to take on the matter. With regards to Seto's defensive abilities compared to Marleau, in reality, Marleau was having defensive lapses until he was 27. He didn't start picking up that part of his game until just recently and it is pretty common for guys who come up because of raw talent and offensive ability to not pick up their defensive game until their prime or even later.

Devin will learn but not this year and probably not for a few years. A lot of what I see in Devin's game is similar to Marleau at his age and I don't expect him to deviate too much in terms of career path and when they pick certain things up. That would mean he's probably not going to really focus on it for another 4 years. Devin's still learning how to be consistent offensively and that's going to take another couple years.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote