View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Vito Andolini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
upgraded?

To me I like the 4 lines and top 6 at this point as well as having some decent depth both upfront and on defense with guys that will be 13-14th forwards and 7-8th dmen so I would sit tight but just curious what spots other feel need to be upgraded upon or a specific area we should look to address either now or at some point during the season since it's so dead here today.
Jeez...where to start....
First and most importantly, we need YOUNG, impact, diverse, core players who are leaders. This team is never going to be a winner until we develop a young group of guys to carry it.

Second, we need real defensive crease clearing d-men, and I'm not talking about Malacough and Bobo. Consistent defensive play is what is gonna get us back towards respectibility, and we are severely lacking in it. I dont think Purinton fits this bill, atleast not yet. He's decent defensively, but not a defensive work horse, also he's not physical enough in the crease.

Third, we need some defensive forwards. I don't think we have a single one, not since we dealt Samuelsson. This is a huge concern for the same reason as I gave for number 2. Consistent defensive wins in the NHL, and not every player on the ice needs to be a go-to type player. So we need atleast 1 on our top two lines, and 1 or 2 on the bottom two lines.

That being said, it will not be easy to make these changes. It would take a huge commitment by management towards a rebuilding process, and we all know that will never happen in New York, so....