View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Habitude, I think that past administrations were so bogged down in political correctness and worrying about how they were perceived, they choked the personality out of the team. The team thought that a simple thing like speaking your mind would empty out the stands and suspend all beer sales.
Good points. But keep in mind that few people can speak like Gainey can to the media. I don't think an Andre Savard can come in here and make the statements that Gainey has without suffering some consequences.

Gainey has come in here with experience, Cups, a history in Montreal, a fanbase that worships him and assumes he will restore former glory (a tough task to be sure, but also gives Gainey major leeway for the first year or two), and has demanded leeway from the organization to do what he wants from the get-go. (Not only is he involved in hockey operations, but if memory serves me right he has a position in the franchise. This is significant as it will give him more power to excersize, and more seniority than a regular General Manager.)