David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Obvious Fantasy Trade with Capitals

To Washington (net of +3.75M to cap, +2 to roster- both before Hamhuis):

Jason Arnott (4.5M)
J.P. Dumont (4.0M)
Jordin Tootoo (1.25M)
Rights to Dan Hamhuis or Grebeshkov (priceless- lol)

To Nashville (net -3.75M to cap, -2 to roster):

Alexander Semin (6M)

Reasoning:

Nashville frees up salary from aging players while bringing in an elite-level forward to help address scoring issues (particularly on the PP). Of course, they take a risk in Semin due to his mercurial attitude and the fact he only has one year left on his current contract- but we would lose 2/4 after this/next season anyway and Dumont and Tootoo's roles have both been reduced.

Nashville then re-signs Hornqvist (2.25M), Bouillon (1.25), and Franson (1.0). Blum is promoted and backfill other positions with other R/UFAs. That should come up to about 45-46M. Increase the budget to 47-ish and re-sign Grebeshkov (or Hamhuis) instead of bringing Blum up.

Other than removing the mercurial Semin from their roster and potentially adding Dan Hamhuis, I'm not sure why Washington would do this. To be fair, I think Arnott and Dumont would help Washington more than losing Semin would hurt. I also think Tootoo would be a better fit for the more aggressive Capitals. Dan Hamhuis will likely be the biggest boon for Washington (perhaps after ridding themselves of Semin) and would make an interesting partner for Mike Green. Of course, they take on the additional cap hit too, but only for one year.

Edited to add: One Capital's blogger's opinion of Semin.

Discussion Point(s):

Putting aside obvious NM/TC issues, can the trade be massaged in such a way to make it a win/win for both teams?

Last edited by David Singleton: 05-07-2010 at 02:51 PM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote