View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I need a in there if you're being facetious. Tell ya what, the can keep Wilson and I'll STILL give 'em Petro.
My intent was not to open a debate about specific deals. Point is, Sather has not only chose to do nothing about the PK problems, he's consciously parted with anyone who even resembles a sound defensive forward in favor of offense, grit, or in Messier's case, window dressing. Seems to me that the first step in remedying the PK situation would be to retain the services of those who have the ability to do something about it.

Hope that helps...

Seriously, I agree. However, I do think that most players (I'm thinking forwards specifically), if properly coached, are capable of playing on the penalty kill. I've never really seen Hlavac kill many penalties, but I'm sure that he did spend time on the PK in Europe--everyone does there. Here, however, Schmuckler jams him into a predetermined role and totally missuses him (remember the Czechmates weren't put together for several months into the season). Now, no one thinks he can kill penalties. Same thing with younger players--they get frozen out of PK time because there are so many veterans who have been signed who need the extra ice time. Most young players have played in a lot of different situations--after all, they are the ones who stood out when they were young and encouraged to pursue a professional career.

That said, the Rangers seem to have a dislike for solid two-way forwards who can't score 30 goals every season. They are always trading them away for offensive help. And with it, goes the best PK players on the roster. It's a two-way game, but that hasn't sunk in to our Fearless Leader. We'll see how it goes.