View Single Post
Old
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Because they can purchase teams failing in non-traditional markets (Phoenix) for a ridiculously low price and move them to a new market. That fresh start will generate interest in the team causing the organisation to increase in value.
Wrong. They would be paying more than what any U.S investor is willing to pay for a team to relocate. Admit it, you own an opinion and you're trying desperately to avoid changing it.

If there were investors in the U.S that are willing to match the bids and relocate the team to a U.S market, don't you think we would be discussing this on a thread? Show me some RECENT news that points to a trend in this direction of U.S investors willing to pay as much as Canadian investors and relocate a team within the U.S....

Quote:
Then stick to the point. I was talking about arena upgrades over existing arenas, what the Islanders are trying to do. They can't invest more money into a team when there arena is too small to back up their investments. You cannot spend money like a team selling 19 000 when you can only sellout to 16 000.
I've given you examples of 4 teams with laughable attendance (which destroys the game) despite having modern arenas... I should of added Florida in there too. And why is it that Long Island does not have a new Arena in the making? Is it because city council and state officials are afraid of opportunity? Or are they afraid of the RISKS and PROOF that new arenas do not always translate to an increased bottom line.

Quote:

You named 1 team which has been the most succesful over the past decade and a half as well as 3 expansion teams in non-hockey markets.
So I shouldn't give you examples of struggling franchises in modern arenas if they are non-hockey markets ??? lol ...

Here's a little 101 for you: Most struggling teams are in bad hockey markets.

Quote:

You haven't. Unless the same old "hockey is Canadian" rambling translates to only teams in our country can work.
Hockey is not just Canadian. Did I ever mention any of the teams in California? Did I call out the u.s original six? Philly, Buf, Min, Col, Dal etc.. No I did not. I'm calling out a franchise with a stellar decade and a half and horrible attendance. I'm calling out a franchise that is unable to get a new arena, and with a very small core following. I'm also calling out certain southern locations where hockey is just an afterthought, where success is only possible if the circumstances are right.

Also, a lot of the struggling southern teams that are pointing to money problems as one of the reasons for their failures are basically just making the point that do not have enough core support.... If they did, than they would have the resources to make the necessary changes to begin to compete.

Quote:
Of course the Islanders are a far second, the Rangers are an Original Six team. That does not mean every person in and around New York is a Rangers fan.
True. But that doesn't mean the Islanders have enough core support for the long term either.

Quote:

I never said nothing matters to me. The market in Quebec City may have changed for the better. It all depends on what the market has evolved into. Can the residents afford to attend games regularly and buy memorabilia? Are the newer generations Canadiens' fans? Has immigration increased (they probably don't care for hockey)?

All of these come into play for both existing markets and potential markets.
You should be asking these questions BEFORE asserting your opinion , shouldn't you? Perhaps you would have an informed opinion.

Quote:

Way to avoid answering the question. Anyways, I don't seem to get where you are trying to go with this. Calling New York a non-traditional market for both hockey and sports just means you must be delusional.
I never said that, quit dummying down the discussion with false statements.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote