View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 04:17 PM
hillbillypriest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I don't believe they'll be able to impose any restrictions on unsigned draft picks with a new CBA that were drafted under the current CBA. These players enrolled in the draft under the current CBA. The declaration document for making oneself available for the draft is part of the CBA. If the NHL tries to change the rules after the fact, those players could be declared UFA's. In effect, these players signed a contract with the NHL when they filed for the draft and the NHL is obligated to fullfill it.

(thread copied from Islander's Board)
Hi Buffaloed,

Hope this doesn't bring back too much bad deja vu from our recent exchanges on the Maurice Clarett thread, but I'm going to beg to differ. I believe that what is being suggested is not that the NHL will break contracts with rookies, but that the NHLPA and NHL will reach a new agreement to severely reduces the limit of what rookies can be paid as part of a jointly negotiated CBA. Apart from standard form contracts signed with individual players that expire after the CBA expires, I would not think that there's any aspect of the CBA could not be re-negotiated within the context of collective bargaining. So I don't see any reason why unsigned rookies could not be successfully sacrificed by the NHLPA when the ink's finally dry on the upcoming CBA.

p.s. - Unlike the Clarett discussion, in which you and DeathFromAbove pointed out to me that the current NFL CBA has a gap that does not specifically mention minimum draft age, I think Leon Wood's unsuccessful case against the NBA does apply here.