View Single Post
Old
05-10-2010, 11:52 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post

if someone sees that Phoenix has an NHL team, it gives the franchise more legitimacy.
You're completely wrong.

1.What gives the franchise legitmacy, and most importantly the NHL, are arenas that are full of people, not empty seats.

You think that empty arenas are a better selling point? I don't know about you, but if I'm a fan of say, Nashville, and I'm watching a game in Phoenix, or NJ, and all I see our empty seats, I'm really not that interested... IF I were that fan, and I was watching my team play in Winnipeg or Quebec City, in front of packed arenas, in front of screaming passionate fans... THATS what's going to get me interested in the game. And hell, that might even start some HEALTHY RIVALRY (Canada vs U.S for example).

2. You and others seem to have this opinion about the U.S as if you guys are stuck in 1990. The U.S economy sucks balls, and Canada has caught-up if not surpassed the U.S in many respects. Resources, a regulated banking industry that did not almost bankrupt the country are a few reasons off the top of my head. There's a reason why Phoenix's owner went bankrupt; there are reasons why investors are not stepping up like they were 15 years ago.

Gdp per caita, real estate valuation, retail sales, employment in Manitoba and Quebec city are nothing like it was 15-20 years ago. Where markets like Phoenix have gone down, these cities have gone up.

3. QC and Win. have suffered the loss of a franchise, and trust me, hockey is more popular all over Canada now than it was 20 years ago (despite the fact that you think it's stagnant, it's not... hard to believe but it's true).Do you not think they are going to embrace them back with more "love" than in the past (when the love in the past was still far more than what exists in most U.S markets today).

So couple these factors together (losing a team, increased popularity) and add the economic realities of 2010 (and not 1990) and the benefits of a full arena, you'll find that justifying a team in Phoenix over a legitimate hockey market is beyond ridiculous. Especially for the reasons that you have pointed out.

Last edited by coolasprICE: 05-10-2010 at 12:16 PM.
coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote