View Single Post
Old
05-10-2010, 05:19 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
JVR is a great talent, but I am not sure he has more talent than Carter and I don't think he is more talented than Giroux. Nor does he have the intangibles that Giroux has.

Saying he is the 2nd best raw talent in franchise history is hyperbole at best and I doubt he'll ever reach the heights to be considered the 2nd best forward in franchise history. When Richie, Carter, Giroux, and JVR all reach their peak I'm not convinced he's even the best forward of the current bunch.
JVR easily has more talent than Carter, I mean, Carter has never seen a shot he didn't like, JVR has better hands and is a much better passer.

Roo is a great player and I've changed my tune on dealing him, but I don't think he'll ever be in the Kane-St. Louis class because he's never going to be a scorer because he doesn't have a good shot and he knows it.

I mean, JVR's growth curve is going to take longer, at this age, Bobby Ryan was still in the AHL and he might be the nearest comp.

But bottom line, I've virtually never seen a package like JVR. Outside of getting some more snarl (which will hold him back a tad), he literally has all the tools and he has size, I'm not saying he's a guaranteed monster, but once he gets his legs under him, he's going to be a serious force.

I actually did slightly underestimate the NCAA impact, but it's difficult to go from playing 40 games per year to 90+, give him a year or two under his belt and a real C and I think he's going to explode.

The thing with JVR is that we don't know how good he's going to be. I mean, Carts and Richie have pretty much reached their peaks as nearly PPG impact 2-way players who are fantastic, but a touch below the top echelon (OV, Crosby, Malkin, Sedin, etc.) and I think Roo will be in that same category.

Last edited by FlyHigh: 05-10-2010 at 06:47 PM.
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote