Thread: Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Sergei Bobrovsky
View Single Post
Old
05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I agree that save percentage is primarily a result of goal tending, but the rest of the team has a big effect on it too. If they didn't there would be no point in playing defense other than to lower the amount of shots on net (versus lowering both the quality and quantity of shots).
The point of playing defense is to lower the chances put on net. NHL players do not, on the whole, just shoot the puck for the hell of it if the defense is doing an excellent job of taking away "quality" shots. They hold the puck, cycle it, and look for quality chances. So, really good defensive teams lower shot totals against...in the process of lowering quality chances. If you're a player just giving up the puck from bad spots, you're not going to last long at this level.

Quality chances surely have a higher conversion rate for goals, but if they are correlated to shot totals then their relative effect on SVPCT isn't direct. A goalie facing more shots faces more quality chances...a goalie facing less shots will face less quality chances... SVPCT will remain steady throughout assuming quality chances are simply steady proportion of SOG. Now, sure, there may be some variance there, but I just don't believe it has a huge effect at the NHL level.

Quote:
Bad defense leads to lower save percentages via greater quality scoring chances. You aren't really debating that, are you?
I am. Because if this is true I would expect Roberto Luongo to be putting up .940 numbers in Vancouver based on how well he did behind a dreadful team in Florida. Goalies are what they are. Vokoun has put up great numbers behind a not so good Florida team the last two years (as did Anderson last year, and look what he did this year).

Hell, there's long been an argument that more SOG/weaker defense helps the goalies SVPCT, if not his GAA.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote