Thread: Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Sergei Bobrovsky
View Single Post
Old
05-11-2010, 06:48 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maybe, but I'm not sure it's that simple. The issue is still that there's a shot coming at the goalie in the slot...it's just he goalie that created that chance, not the defense. So, if Brodeur, for example, doesn't create those chances and you're paying attention purely to where chances are coming from, it's going to make it look as if his D is doing a much better job than someone else's.
but youd be able to see that right in the numbers. a goalie facing a higher number of secondary shots or would give us an idea on not just ability to stop the first one but rebound control in what area those 2nd shots come from. the fact that there is a 3rd shot tells us alot about the defense and those give us more.

why i think goalie stats really get blurry is they tell you little about how that goalie plays. jumbling all of the shots together is like saying every pitch in baseball should be a homerun.its just leaves absent so many aspects of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I mean, the Devs have had a demonstrable reduction in talent around Brodeur, but he continues to chug right along and the team has maintained itself as a very good defensive club. 10 years ago you might have been able to make the Stevens and Nieds argument, but he's pretty much done the same thing without them around.
the devils were a combination of alot of factors. most teams had to dump the puck to get through the trap and if marty didnt handle the puck stevens was there to negate the down low cycling game.. it was a near unbeatable combination. id say martys decline over the last few years (from godly to simply incredible) has been due to changes among those other factors. but youd probably never get a read on that just looking at the stats

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote