View Single Post
Old
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I don't recommend it just because I don't think a beginner would get anything out of an expensive stick. For one, maybe they don't stick with the sport. Or it could break on a slash. And what if a beginner buys a 100 flex Drury and then figures out they should be using a 75 flex Iginla?

I won't hold it against beginners for having nice equipment though...some people do. Same thing with musical instruments...I've seen YouTube videos of people who can barely keep a beat playing a $4,000 drumset with $2,500 worth of cymbals. Yeah it makes me wince, and I do get a bit jealous because I'm a pretty damn good drummer (or at least was in my gigging days) and make do with a mid-level kit and can't afford the heads and cymbals I REALLY want...but what can you do.

If someone gets into hockey at 40 years old and has a nice income and wants to splurge, good for them. But my opinion is that your first set of gear (as a beginner) should be mid-level (except maybe the helmet and possibly skates) because you'll probably want something else as you develop tastes and preferences.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote