View Single Post
Old
05-13-2010, 10:24 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I agree. I think weber isnt going to try to gouge the preds and would take 6 million for multiple years.

the question will be since Weber will get a contract first, will Suter take less than Weber?
Here's the thing, if Weber gets to be a RFA, Poile can negotiate both Suter and Weber's deals at the same time. Suter would be getting an extension while Weber would be getting a new deal. If I'm Poile, I go to both of them and say, we want to continue to build this team around the two of you, what would it take to keep you here for the next 8-10 years. Would they go for $5.5 a year or $6 or more? Who knows? Duncan Keith is gonna get a hair over $5.5 a year. If they can sign both for that sort of money, I think everyone will be happy. The other possibility is giving Weber an extension once July 1 hits and then doing the same with Suter next year.

Let me ask you this, why do you think Suter should or would take less than Weber? Obviously they both bring different things to the table but I still think Suter is the better all around player of the two. You take Suter off of that pairing and all of a sudden Weber is being asked to puck handle more and that is one of Suter's greatest strengths. Not sure I want Weber skating the puck up ice. Then again, is a guy like Blum or any other prospect ready to step in and play alongside Weber and fill that roll?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote