Thread: News Article: News & Notes 2009-2010 VI
View Single Post
Old
05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
werash39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
It's a combination of being a center and being Canadian that makes people assume he's a good two-way player. The guy averaged 19 seconds of PK time in the playoffs, almost all of it late in games in which the Pens were trailing and were sniping for shorties. I think that kind of says it all about whether his own team considers him to be a "very good" defensive forward.

And as I've said for years, if you just look at the frequency with which opponents score when Crosby is on the ice, he's a defensive liability. Over the last two years (regular season), Crosby has been on the ice for 30 more even-strength goals against than Ovechkin (20% more) in almost identical minutes (Crosby has played 3322 minutes to Ovie's 3309, a 0.4% difference). This year, normed for even ice time, the numbers aren't even close. And nobody is calling Ovechkin a masterful two-way force, nor can anyone rightly say that the Caps have some sort of magical defensive core or goaltender which would account for the difference.
Good points...and sorry for turning this into another Crosby-OV thing. I just wanted to say out loud how Crosby is not a good "two way" player as mentioned in the article. He's a dynamic offensive player who does play hard who is suspect in his own zone. Ovechkin can be described the same way. The great "two way" guys usually aren't phenomenal (points wise) in the offensive zone because it takes a tremendous amount of energy to be great in the defensive zone. That's why Datsyuk might never be a 100 point guy.