Thread: Weber's value
View Single Post
Old
05-13-2010, 12:27 PM
MarkMM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
why is it so hard to make people understand weber's value is equal to 4 first rounders because of his contract, not what he is actually worth?
I'm not sure I follow...if Weber was available for 4 1st round picks I'd offer that in a heartbeat, but I'd be more hesitant to trade all of Raymond (a 2nd round pick), Burrows (undrafted), Schroeder (a 1st round pick) plus a 1st round pick because in draft picks, you never know what you get.

4 1st round picks could lead to a bomb who never gets a professional contract (see Vancouver Canucks - Patrick White, though we traded him as part of San Jose's salary dump and got Erhoff, LUCKY!), a player with promising potential (Schroeder), a guy who looks like after several years of development MIGHT make it on to the roster as a top-six guy (Grabner) and someone who is in a position where you have no use for him (Schneider).

I personally feel Weber is worth a lot more than 4 1st round picks, but I get a bit queasy about two proven 30-goal scorers who are so young that they're not even in their prime years, a prospect who might be a 1st liner some day, plus a 1st round pick.

I'd also point out that the value of Weber's contract being so cheap isn't all that great given that he's only got one year left at this discounted price, so while I would love to have him, I don't consider his contract a bargain for more than one year. His next contract will be a doosie, and rightly so.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote