Thread: Speculation: Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien
View Single Post
Old
05-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Will Sather take a look at these guys this off-season?

What do you feel is fair offer to Chicago? They wouldn't be interested in any taking Cap space back, so hold the Rozsival proposals.

Patrick Sharp (C/LW) 28 years old 3.9M Cap hit, signed through 11-12.
Last 3 seasons: 223GP 87G 85A 172P

Coming off a career high with 45A. Averaged close to 30G last 3 season's. Despite his assist total, he's a shoot-first type of player. He lead all forwards on Chicago with 266 shots taken. Good speed, good awareness. Handles the puck well in open ice, and along the boards. Effective at both Center and Wing. Decent at faceoffs (51.7% FOW)

He's not very physical. Does battle hard, is responsible defensively. Doesn't block many shots, but can handle a two-way role very well. He has a good hockey I.Q, imo. Understands the game well, and doesn't make many errors.

Kris Versteeg (LW) Turned 24 today. 3.1M Cap hit, signed through 11-12. Unlike Sharp, he'll be a groupII when his contract expires.
Last 2 seasons: 157GP, 42G, 55A, 99P

Much like Sharp, Versteeg isn't going to provide a big impact defensively. Doesn't block many shots, doesn't hit much either. He's a shifty winger who can handle the puck in tight areas. Higher ceiling than Sharp, imo. But more inconsistent.

Dustin Byfuglien (RW/D) 25 years old. 3M Cap hit. RFA this summer.
Last 3 seasons: 226GP, 51G, 50A, 101P

Power forward who can skate and shoot. Definitely the least skilled out of the three, and probably the most overpaid, although he's versatile enough to play two positions at a competent NHL level.

Biggest gamble with Dustin, is what version are you getting from him? The motivated, hungry, aggressive 250lb bowling ball, or the floater who seems to somehow dissapear? Despite my concerns with Torts as a head coach, I think a player like Dustin can really thrive under him.

Dustin would definitely have the lesser production out of the three. But he would provide us with some size up front. Skilled enough to play a top-6 role.

Problems we have: Assets. There's going to be a lot of bidding for all three of these guys this summer. I don't feel any of them are worth a top-10 pick, so If that's the asking price for a Sharp, or Versteeg, GTFO.

I would absolutely dangle our 2nd round pick, plus a prospect for a guy like Sharp though. Versteeg I like, but out of the three of them, I think he'll impact our team the least.

2nd+Sauer = Sharp
2nd+4th '11 = Versteeg
2nd = Byfuglien
Hawks won't take any of those trades, they may ask for grachev which I would be reluctant to trade. Sangs and a 2nd rounder for Sharp sounds more realistic, but why not just sign lombardi because both are just stop-gaps until someone else is ready or acquired.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote