Old
05-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obanga View Post
I've heard about Alvarez being switched to 1B because of his poor defense and size no? He's got pretty crazy power.
Alvarez will move to first eventually because of his size. His defense is mediocre there, but I think too much is made of it. Glove wizard Andy LaRoche has more errors in Pittsburgh than Alvarez does in AAA. The range isn't quite up to snuff, but LaRoche's range is ridiculous (3.34 is second only to Seattle's Jose Lopez) and Alvarez's range, transposed into the majors, would put him exactly as average (2.65 would be tied for 16th in the league with Arizona's Mark Reynolds).

The change will come eventually, but I'm of the thought that LaRoche doesn't hit with enough power for a corner infield position and has a glove that seems to fit second better than third anyway (ridiculous range, so-so arm). Second is an organizational weakness. Garrett Jones, by all accounts, will be back at first before long as the Jeff Clement experiment looks to be a failure...which is more fitting for him anyway as he's a good fielding first baseman and mediocre in the outfield.

The change will happen eventually, but it shouldn't happen until there is someone legitimately pushing him from third. All moving him to first does now is block Jose Tabata.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote