View Single Post
Old
05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
obanga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Clement was merely a toss-in in a trade involving Jack Wilson, that really says all that needs to be said about him. No reason for the Pirates not to give him a shot considering we didn't have a first baseman, and no reason for the Mariners to keep him around. He's a mediocre at best bat who doesn't have a position (he can't play catcher any more and has the range of a potato chip at first)...generally doesn't bode well for success.

Still, he's better than Brian Bixler

I still can't figure out how a guy can strike out 26 times in 44 at bats. I mean, at least Clement has power. Bixler's career high in home runs in the minors was 9.
yeah, that's pretty awful and usually doesn't bode well for the transition to the majors. Doesn't help maintain a good batting average. A bit like Chris Davis who strikes out a ton and can't hit well.
Of course, there are exceptions, notably big power hitters.

Or guys like Adam Dunn, who walks so often and compensates his .250 average with a .383-.400 on-base percentage.

Which is why I'm really hoping Mike Stanton works on improving his contact and plate discipline. Going to help out Hanley in Florida.

obanga is offline   Reply With Quote