Thread: Weber's value
View Single Post
Old
05-15-2010, 04:02 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Yeah, we drool over Weber or Suter, but even if a trade is fair, it doesn't mean it works for both teams, so I don't think we work too well as trade partners. I'd expect Gillis to dump some salary in Bernier and no re-signing Mitchell, and then just try to fill our defensive holes with UFA signings, most talk in Vancouver is around Hamhuis, Seidenberg, Morrison and Volchenkov. If we can fill our defensive holes without losing our long-term assets, I gotta think that's the route we go.

The only thing I could think of would be swapping rights, maybe Wellwood's RFA rights for Hamhuis' UFA rights? My thoughts on Wellwood is that he's got sick skills with the puck, but he never got his chance because he's a high-skilled offensive forward who was put on the third-line between two pluggers most of the time. He's improved his defensive game and when he's motivated, he can really dangle and make the opposition sweat.

$1.2M this season so he'd need to be qualified for about $1.3M or a tad over that, I know you guys are full of centres but he's a cheap insurance policy if Wilson isn't ready, or maybe you could move him to the wing. This assumes of course that you won't be re-signing Hamhuis, so might as well get something (no idea what other teams might offer for him either).
You guys have no chance at Hamhuis or Volchenkov. You don't have the cap space. Too many open roster spots and both those guys could command upwards of $5 million a season.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote