Old
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by obanga View Post
Hmm, I guess I was wrong or at least, basing myself from old perspectives.

I guess this article would be interesting.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-draft-review/

Chase D'Arnaud seems pretty good. SS with nice walk rate at 11% and good AVG/OBP along with some pretty nice speed.
Ranked number 7 on Fangraphs' list and they had this to say about him.

D’Arnaud has come a long way in a short time. The infielder looked like a future MLB utility player when he was drafted, but he’s worked hard to improve his skill set and he reached high-A in ‘09 as a 22-year-old. The right-handed hitter batted .291/.394/.427 in 213 low-A at-bats before moving up to high-A where he hit .295/.402/.481 in 210 at-bats. D’Arnaud produced solid walk rates at both levels, right around 12.4%, but his strikeout rate rose 5% to 19.5% upon his promotion. With that, though, his power increased from an ISO of .136 to .186. If the power fluctuation is just a tease, D’Arnaud still has some added value on the base paths after stealing 31 bases in 39 attempts. He won’t ever match former starter Jack Wilson on defense, but D’Arnaud is solid in the field, and he should produce more on offense.

Nice I hope he does well in AA. Any takes on him?
I have high hopes for d'Arnaud, but he's off to a poor start this year. He's one of my favorite prospects in the system, and the fact that he can play three positions legitimately well makes him very appealing (2B prospect mainly, but plays equally as well at SS where necessary in the minors, has played well in 3B when called upon to do so). He's another slap hitter prospect, which is something the Pirates have a ton of though (Alvarez and Quincy Latimore are about the only legitimate power prospects we have right now, and I'm not very high on Latimore at all). He seems like one of those prospects that isn't necessarily great at anything, but good enough at everything that he'll make it along. Throw in an (apparent) great attitude and you have something...but he's not going to solve the Pirates woes.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote