View Single Post
Old
05-16-2010, 03:50 AM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
I don't see d'Arnaud as much more upside than a so-so starting shortstop, but that's not a bad asset to have at your disposal. He won't hit for any power, but he has a glove and can put his bat on the ball. It's not like there's anyone in the organization blocking him right now, but I wouldn't mind taking Manny Machado in the draft, which would basically end d'Arnaud's bid to ever start for the Pirates at short.

At times it looked like he was destined for 3B but it looks pretty promising that he'll stick at SS. Dont get me wrong he looks above average defensively at SS, his arm is rated at 70 (80 being max) but some think me may eventually outgrow the position, he's already something like 6'2 (not sure how true that is though). No player has risen as much in last few weeks as Machado.

IMO there's no way Nats pass on Harper. Pirates dont really like to take highschool arms (correct me if I'm wrong) so that takes Jameson Taillon out of the equation. Ranaudo is 1 of the most MLB-ready prospects in the draft but he's a Boras client and apparently they are looking for a big bonus (dont have a proof of this but I recall reading about it) so Pirates most likely pass on him. I can see Ranaudo sliding outside of top-10, there's also health concerns. Machado definitely makes sense at #2. Something tells me that they end up going with Drew Pomeranz. His upside is nowhere near of Taillon's but he's not far from majors. Control is an issue with this guy. Think of Pomeranz as last year's Brian Matusz ... #2 upside but should be fasttracked to majors whereas Taillon will take at least 2-3 years to develop.

Here's what John Sickels said about him couple weeks ago:

Quote:
Pomeranz is a 6-5, 235 pound lefty with a terrific arm. His performance this year has been excellent, with a 1.38 ERA and a 90/24 K/BB in 59 innings, with just 34 hits allowed. His K/IP and H/IP marks are outstanding, and are statistical confirmation of the stuff that scouts see: a 90-94 MPH fastball with movement and an unusually good breaking ball. His command can wobble on occasion, but his stuff is so good that even patient college hitters have trouble against him. The bad news…um, well, there really isn’t any, other than the aforementioned occasional command issue. He could use a better changeup, but again that’s a relatively minor concern considering his overall package.

Last edited by darko: 05-16-2010 at 04:03 AM.
darko is offline   Reply With Quote