View Single Post
Old
05-16-2010, 05:46 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Not both of them, but one of them, Hamhuis being more likely. I think a long-term deal could get him at around $4M, and the Canucks have Demitra off the books this year ($4M), may trade or waive Bernier to make room ($2M), could pay Alberts to play in the minors ($1.1M), let go of Johnson ($1.1) and not re-sign Mitchell ($3.5M). Luongo's 13-year deal is going to reduce his cap hit by $1.3M (from $6.6 to $5.3) and if we replace Demitra with Grabner, Wellwood with Hodgson (deferring his bonuses), Johnson with a plugger (Bliznak?), Bernier with Hansen, Alberts with Rome, and Raycroft with Schneider (slightly more expensive), the Canucks come in with a roster of 21 players, 13 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies, with about $5.3M in cap space which should be plenty to sign Hamhuis. (And this actually makes us a stronger team as we're jettisoning some dead-weight!)

That's tight to sign Volchenkov, but if we could get our hands on him I almost guarantee you we'd trade Bieksa to open up that $3.5M in cap space meaning $8.8M to sign Volchenkov and maybe we'll keep Alberts as our 7th guy for $1.1M.
I read an article yesterday that stated there will be like 9-10 roster spots open with about $14 million in cap space. It wasn't that exact but in that ball park. Looking at your roster and cap you have 12 guys signed plus Luongo and spent $40 million already. So you have to fill 9-10 roster spots and have a little more than I suspected. That is not going to be easy to do. You've got 4 defensemen all making over $3 million next year. You're not gonna get Hamhuis for $4 million a season. We have a better shot at that than you do since he and his wife enjoy living here. If his salary demands get into the $5 million range, which they just may, neither of us have a shot at him.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote