View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 11:48 PM
bb74

vCash: 500
Thanks for the insight - I guess this leaves me wondering about the 2nd half of the question I had - does Boston have the roster to succeed in this system?

Although you were discussing last years transition game, I believe the trap - or some close concoction thereof - requires good D mobility and passing to be maintain pressure in the neutral and offensive zone. Today the B's have average mobility, average - at best passing on the D and no-one that can man the rush up the boards (Mcgillis? maybe - Jillson a tbd) So this shuts down the transition game and forces the forwards to back check more and lets the other team install their system in the D zone... That does not bode well for the B's.

On top of that - the aggressive forecheck requires some big (at least in heart) bodies to get puck possession in the corners - 1st line - I only see Thornton doing this (maybe Knuble if he is on the line again). 2nd line - who knows? And for the 3rd line Lapointe - but he is not all that fast to get the pressure deep before the D gets to the puck (assuming dump and chase). Even if we were to adopt a similar offensive zone strategy as last year - I don't see how, as a team with the pieces in place today, we can effectively execute this system (not trying to be negative but the fundamental pieces just don't seem to be there...)