Thread: Speculation: Kovalchuk, how much is too much?
View Single Post
Old
05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
"Kovy, how much is too much"

I am not arguing that DL "IS" going to overpay for kovy, I am arguing from a position that we need use caution "IN" over paying for Kovy and why we need to really look at him to establish that he is the best fit this coming season and for the next several (7-10) depending on salary structure and our ability to dump his contract if needed down the road).

In addition, do you think that DL will be able to sign Kovy for $5mill total more than the Caps have paid for Backstrom ?

DL is a solid GM but I think your being optomistic. I see Kovy as receiving a contract that establishes him as one of the top four paid players in the NHL if not one of the top two but time will tell.

But to your point, I never said anything about DL overpaying for Kovy. I am saying that signing Kovy at $8m per and by simply addressing our current needs and reasonably at that, we end up over the cap.

How we remedy that is going to cost us by losing talent in other area's including players that we don't necessarily want to part with and by replacing them with more affordable (lesser) talented players.

It still might be worth it, but I am not certain.

"How much is too much for Kovy"

My answer is any amount that causes us to be in a situation that is similar to the Black Hawks after this season. I don't see them making this run without Versteeg, Sharp and or Byfuglien.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote