View Single Post
Old
05-18-2010, 03:04 AM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

vCash: 500

1. What do I wear underneath all that equipment? How do you get "dressed"?

I played all my life, including 4 years of NCAA. I've had under armour 'moisture wicking' shirts and compression shorts and all that junk. At the end of the day, I usually prefer a light weight, loose fitting t-shirt (or no shirt at all). If you've got compression shorts with a cup, that's all you need on the bottom, if not, just wear boxers under your jock unless your comfortable going naked. As for HOW you get dressed:

Definitely you want to focus on your lower body first.

Make sure you've got comfortable socks for skating on and whatever kind of jock situation you're using. From there I would recommend:

Shin Guards.
Hockey socks. Roll the bottom half way up so the bottom half of your shin guards are exposed.
Hockey Pants.
Skates. If you want your tongue out, just lace 'em up. If you want to tuck your tongue, simply un-velcro the bottom strap of your shinguards and tuck the tongue in before you lace the upper eyelets of your skates and then re-velcro.
Roll down the socks so that your whole shin guards are covered again.
Tighten and tie your hockey pants.
Shoulder pads.
Elbow pads.
Jersey.
Helmet.
Gloves.

You're good to go. There is no right way to put on your gear, but while this way sounds complicated because of the length of the instructions I simply wanted to flesh it out for you in step-by-step. I find it's honestly the easiest and most straight forward way of dressing - I've been doing it this way since I started tying my own skates.

2. What should I do to please/not annoy the coach and players?

Be friendly. Play hard. Don't get frustrated. Tell them you're new. Do everything I say from here on in this post

3. Should I just get rid of the puck the first few games?

No. You're playing 3on3 which means you have more time and space than you normally would. If nothing else, look up and look ahead of you (and use your peripheral to see if anyone is coming from the sides). As long as you have room in front of you, the first thing you should do is skate straight ahead as quickly as you can with the puck. Hockey is a speed game and the worst thing you can do is stand still with the puck in your skates looking for someone else to give it to. The next worse thing you can do is put your head down and slowly try to stickhandle back and forth while you skate 1MPH. Cup the puck with your stick and move it, don't worry too much about "handling" it. Even if you only go 10 feet up the ice before someone steps up, you should have at least had time to spot a teammate. When someone is actually making a play on you, pass the puck or take the shot if you've gotten into a good position. Just aimlessly throwing the puck to a teammate as soon as it lands on your stick basically means your team is playing 2on3 when you're on the ice and will lead to turn overs and frustration, likely on your teammates end. The same goes for when making a pass after holding onto the puck. If you don't look up and make sure your teammate is actually in a position to receive a pass (ie. not double teamed) you'll just be turning the puck over. 3on3 is a lot of ice. Keep your head up and if you can't keep the puck on your stick without looking at it, keeping glancing up as if you were reading a speech to an audience.

4. For line changes, is it totally noobish if you use the door instead of just climbing over the boards?

Yes, it's totally noobish. Do you think, without skates on, you could hop over a 2.5 foot high wall? All you have to do is come to a stop (use the boards if you have to) and than, standing still, put your hands on the top to brace yourself, put one leg up, slide it over, straddle the boards and follow with the other. It's much easier than it looks; there is actually NO jumping involved. I've been playing my entire life... trust me, it's simply swinging one leg over and than the other. Like I said, stop first and steady yourself, just don't take a year to actually get on the bench. If you're going onto the ice it's even easier as you're already at a standstill. Just be confident.

5. I'm playing 3 on 3, is there anything different I should do from playing 5 on 5? What differences should I expect?

There's going to be a lot more open ice. This means you'll have a lot more time when the puck is on your stick than you think. Ultimately, 3on3 is 4 less total players on the ice than normal hockey, which means space. Going back to what I said earlier, you don't have all the time in the world but you DO have time to look up and make a smarter play. Space also means more odd-man rushes. Skate HARD and be ready to get back and help out, even if you're not playing D. You may not be great defensively, but going up against a 2on2 with one bad defender is still a LOT harder than coming in 2on1.

6. Will it roller blading make my ice skating worse?

Generally yes, but if you're really just going to skate forwards and backwards than no. Make sure you do only that and do it FAST. The worst guys that I see when I'm on the ice with beginners are the guys who do everything at a snails pace and coast towards open pucks instead of skating into them. Obviously, with the puck on your stick or if you're going around the net, being a beginner, you're not going to be able to do things full speed, but in open ice SKATE... even if you can't receive a pass or take a good shot, skating fast and being in the play gives you the opportunity to cover a man defensively or make the defender think about covering you offensively - you may not know what to do if a pass comes your way, but the defender won't know that and will have to respect your presence, thus creating more space for your teammates. You may not be 100% comfortable on the ice, but skating HARD will help you and even if you make mistakes while skating hard, you're going to learn faster from giving 100% than you will if you only go 65% because you're afraid.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote