Thread: Speculation: Johnny Boychuk? Go hard after him.
View Single Post
Old
05-18-2010, 11:55 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I don't think Boychuk will get that much in free agency. There are a lot of proven dmen on the market this year.

Lidstrom
Niedermayer
Kubina
Gonchar
Blake
Martin
Corvo
Volchenkov
Seidenberg
Hamhuis
Leopold
Michalek

Granted, some of these players may retire, but you know Anaheim and Detroit will re-sign Nieds and Lidstrom if they don't retire.

How many teams are going to bid on Boychuk over one of these guys? Just being UFA isn't enough to get Boychuk 3+ mil. Seidenberg only got a 1 year/2.25 mil deal last offseason. Leopold only got 1 year/1.75 mil.

13 playoff games isn't enough of a sample size for Boychuk to get a large payday.
I can definitely see him getting that kind of an offer though and if you want him--you're probably going to be in the $3-3.5 range. Of the other d-men you mention he is younger than most, with maybe less wear on his wheels and with more potential to grow as a player. I think he's at the least going to be a solid top 4 even without much more progression.

Considering what Gilroy is getting and where Boychuk seems to be now as a player is one way to look at it. The two are close in age and Gilroy is making in th $2 mil range. Boychuk is obviously better which is to say there's almost nothing fair about this salary stuff anyway--just looking at Redden or Drury.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote