Thread: Speculation: Johnny Boychuk? Go hard after him.
View Single Post
Old
05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If he isn't now, then his isn't going to get paid like one. All of the dmen I listed will take up a large portion of the available dollars (not to mention forwards like Kovy, Plekanec, Marleau, etc.). If a team doesn't sign Boychuk early, he'll get less money by the shear fact that there will be less money left to be spent. I can't see him being the first dman teams go after when so many other proven vets are available.

I'm all for signing him, but if he's going to be 3.5 million then no thanks. The guy hasn't even played a full year's worth of games. But I seriously doubt he'll get that much. Based on his regular season numbers, he's not going to sniff anything close to 3.5 mil. 13 playoff games where he played with Chara isn't going to increase his value that much. My guess is about 1.5 mil per year, maybe up to 2 mil per if he signs for more than 2 years.
It always seems that there's one or a few decent d-men to be had into August and sometimes even into September. Even so there are only a finite number of good d-men every summer and Boychuk looks definitely like one of those this summer--though maybe a bit more of a gamble. I think some team will take a gamble with him as far as a contract in terms of money and years because of his age and also because he has more upside/or more of an unknown potential than practically all the others. You could concievably hit a home run with him.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote