View Single Post
Old
05-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Do you think Blum is worth Hodgson straight up??
Blum is a top notch defenseman prospect, as Hodgson is as well, pretty even I think, but doubt that trade would ever happen.
I don't think there's much chance of that happening. Some sort of deal involving Raymond for Blum is far more likely, I would think.

Glenngineer, that's interesting. I wouldn't have expected them to be relying on two rookies next season, but given the number of reputable defense prospects in the Nashville system (at least four), I guess it makes sense. If that's the case, perhaps the deal is less likely.

Personally, from a Canucks standpoint, trading Raymond for a player like Blum doesn't seem far-fetched. The Canucks will hopefully sign at least one higher end free agent defensemen (hopefully Martin and/or Seidenberg) as well as a more affordable one -- maybe even Boullion.

But I think a general weakness in the Canucks system is the lack of a young defensemen to step in next season and possibly step into a top-pairing role in the next 2-3 seasons. The Canucks have a couple of "maybe" prospects on the back end, but they're all at least one year -- and more likely two years -- from being on the opening day roster. A guy like Blum would allow the Canucks to load up some cap space on a top defender such as Paul Martin and maintain some cap flexibility.

Similarly, as good as Raymond is (I think he's a 30-35 goal scorer sometime in the next few seasons), Michael Grabner might be able to do close to the same thing next season for less money. The Canucks need to be smart about allocating cap space, since they'll be at the ceiling every season for the conceivable future.

I guess we'll see what happens

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote