View Single Post
05-19-2010, 08:53 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
I'm pretty sure that by "balanced stick" people are reffering to how it feels when you play with it.

You also hear blade heavy/light a lot, as in the blade feels too light or heavy and it's just uncomfortable.

It's hard to explain, but it's basically how good a stick feels when playing with it. So a heavier yet better-balanced stick can feel lighter than a stick that weighs less grams...If you know what I mean.
Exactly. When I'm feeling for the balance of a stick (without being on the rink), I'll simply hold the stick normally, perhaps with my lower hand a bit lower than it would be for typical stickhandling. Make some general "air moves" with it and hold it a bit. If it feels as if there's a bit of unevenness and there is more weight concentrated towards the blade end, it is a varying degree of blade-heavy. If it feels very light towards the blade and perhaps TOO light, then it is blade-light. I actually prefer a blade-light stick and will add wood plugs to the end of composite sticks or OPS to balance them better, as well as for the fact that I like to shape my handles with a sander.

Hrad is correct that you can have a stick that weighs more overall, but feels better balanced.

Scotty94 is offline   Reply With Quote