View Single Post
Old
09-30-2003, 05:08 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'll PM it to you.
Thanks. I just read it. The article states why there will never be a level playing field in baseball. The Brewers were the most improved team, financialy-wise. However, their opening payroll dropped. While every team criticizes the Yankees in general and Steinbrenner in particular, the thing that separates him form owners like Selig is that he takes his $$$ that he made on the Yankess and reinvests it in his own team. The other owners critisize him for not doing what they do....i.e. take the $$$ and line his own pocket.
The Oakland A's are another example. The best pitching staff on the planet. One of baseball's top offensive players in Miguel Tejada, at a key position (shortstop). Yet they are not even going to make an effort in resigning him. First they loose Giambi. This year it will be Tejada. Next year Eric Chavez is a free agent. And they wonder why they never make it past the first round of the playoffs.

With the NHL, it is not much different. However, here a part of the injustice is that you have teams who are not only more interested in lining their own pockey, but also are incapable of selling out their own building. Even a top end team like the 'Sens, cannot seem to sell out the 1st round of the playoffs. Seems to me that before coming for handouts, these teams should market a little better and show that there is a large fan support in place. If the fans don't care enough, why should the league care enough to give handouts?