Thread: Weber's value
View Single Post
Old
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If I knew more about Petrecki I could probably analyze a little better but with the 1st being so late in that round, it's a reach pick. I like Setoguchi and Vlasic as players but they are not difference makers to me. In Weber, he's a guy that can change the course of a game in a few different ways obviously. I don't think it's massive overpayment but I don't think Nashville gets an elite player for Weber in this deal. If it were Pavelski instead of Setoguchi I might be more inclined to say, ok but the way it stands now, I would say no.

As far as the odds of Weber becoming available soon, he has one year remaining on his current contract and then is a restricted free agent. He enjoys playing here and the hype that the Canadian media plays up about him going back to Canada once his contract is up is way overrated. If he wanted out of Nashville so badly he would've signed a 4 year deal so when it was up he could be unrestricted and go anywhere he wanted to. We have some big contracts coming off the books when he becomes a RFA and some of that money will go into re-signing him. My guess is Nashville offers him a deal in the $5.5.-6 million range for 8-10 years and they do the same type of deal to keep Suter. This is speculation on my part but I think Poile will open the wallet for these two as he realizes their worth to this team.
As a fan, I like Pavelski more than Setoguchi. But as a GM, I'd take Setoguchi over Pavelski. 23 years old (not turning 24 until Jan. 1 2011) and already has scored 30 goals, and with a little consistency boost, he might be able to score 50 with a playmaker beside him. He's a natural goal scorer, plain and simple. He will be an elite player one day.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote