View Single Post
Old
03-10-2005, 06:04 PM
David A. Rainer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I don't think anyone is disputing that; I certainly am not. However, you can always try to trade if your idea of the BPA is a little below the consensus. That's why I'm so critical of the Blake Wheeler pick; I honestly believe it could have easily been dealt for the Coyotes to pick a few places lower, but they can garner more assets.

At least from my point of view, when I want the Kings to take the BPA, I want them to make full use of their assets. That means, if they think the best player will be around through round 4, then trade your first round pick for a few more picks in the draft and make it useful.

And don't draft Johnson over Crosby just because you may think he addresses your needs/other considerations much better than Crosby or any other prospect.
Totally agree, both with Blake and trading down. This is something you see with routine in the NFL and is what should be done. If you feel your guy can be obtained lower in the draft (as in Blake), then you trade out of your spot (if possible) and pick him up later.

However, I think NHL organizations are so scared that they will not end up with their guy (because of lack of information that you don't see with the NFL) and that they have absolutely no clue how to value trading picks (e.g. what is the difference in value when trading down from the #4 to #10). The NFL is mush better at valuing the trade of picks (although some of them are pretty bad at it sometimes) than the NHL. So the NHL doesn't and they get stuck making odd draft choices. The teams that have been successful at trades (Colorado, New Jersey) are the teams that have been successful developing from youth.

And I don't think anyone would draft Johnson over Crosby because the considerations in favor of drafting Crosby as plain and simple the best talent to come along in many years far out weigh the consideration for need. It's not an all or nothing proposition, it moves along a sliding scale.