View Single Post
Old
05-21-2010, 08:33 PM
ts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Oh, I don't agree that it would be just another World Jr. Look at the talent around the world that is 23/24 and younger. The tournament would still be dominated by pros but it fills the gap nicely between the Jrs and the Olympics/World Cup. I think Europe would still enjoy star players like Crosby, Toews, Kane, Backstrom and up and comers like Tavares, Eberle, Duchane and Myers to name a very few.

To be honest, it sounds like Europe is going to complain about anything short of an annual best on best competition, which will never happen. The IIHF and fans in Europe should be grateful that the NHL GMs let them play in this meaningless tournament to begin with, which is why I think that recent article rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.
Um, the most fans that complain about c-,d- or whatever teams are from NA, not Europe. Swedish and Czech fans sometimes mentonis this as well but mostly when someone claims how it's clear that Canada lost because it's only their [insert a letter >a her] team.

One thing you have to notice about a under 23/24 championship: smaller countries often lack the depth to field competitve teams if you limit the player pool, I think there wouldn't be as many upset as there were in the last years, meaning less attention from non-hockeyfans, at least in the short run.

For example for Germany, our d looks ok, but on offense we would lose the major part of the actual team and our current NHL'ers.