Remaking the top 6
View Single Post
05-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Full Time A-hole
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Originally Posted by
Looking at our top 6 forwards its easy to make some observations
1. Gomez's contract is an albatross and the team will deal with it for as long as possible. only 4 more seasons to go
2. AK has zero hockey sense and it's too frustrating to watch him legit play twenty games a season and coast the rest he's basically been a non factor in the playoffs,
3. Gionta and Cammy, The Best part of our top 6 and both can be effective 30-40 goal scorers
4. Plekanac, I do not want to resign unless its a sign and trade, when me and my friends were at the bar we counted five times where pleks was standing out at the Hash marks instead of in front of the net. We won't go deep in the playoffs with him.
5. Pouliot needs to put on about 20-25 more pounds to be effective everyone sees the talent but even if he can become a complementary top 6 forward who hits he'll be a great fit. 6'3 199 pounds? I mean I can push that lanky kid around.
Now the two glaring problems IMO are Ak and Pleks, 1. Pleks is a burden on the roster IMO and will also want about 4-6mil per season and 2. AK has not lived up to expectations and as every one says zero hockey sense,
I say sign and trade pleks
and the tit brothers and try to get a good consistent top 6 forward with some size, Leave patches down in the A to get some confidence and some weight. Tell pouliot his goal is to come back weighing 220, use Pleks an AK to help replenish the picks we've traded away, Promote trotter/desharnais and use the six mil free in cap space to sign a decent top 6? Or if Gauthier is a riverboat gambler type trade one of Price/Halak to get a young top 6 forward
The bolded part is one of my pet peeves, why do so many posters assume you can sign a UFA only to turn around and ship him somewhere else for assets? Why would the player agree to this? What kind of blacklist do you think it'll put the team on for the coming years? This is not a video game.
Aside from that, I don't think there's that much tweaking to be done. There's nobody to replace Plekanec if you don't resign him and nobody will take on Gomez's contract. Kostitsyn has very little value. Maybe you try to pry a good asset away from a team with financial difficulties (always thought Sharp was a perfect fit for this team) but then again, we're not doing too well on that front either so...
Also, people forget this is the first year for Pouliot to see his offensive responsibilities increase so much. He hit a wall mentally and hasn't been able to get back on track, let's not dismiss him as some kind of failed experiment right away, and this has nothing to do with his weight. It's all part of the learning curve of a young player.
Last edited by Munchausen: 05-23-2010 at
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Munchausen