Thread: Playing "D"
View Single Post
Old
05-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
As a defenseman your job is basically to keep everything to the outside, if you manage to keep the forwards to the boards you've eliminated a large chunk of the threat. Another thing is make sure you don't get over ambitious chasing attacking players around.

One of the better tips I've heard is in regards to stick checking, instead of being fully extended right away, keep your stick arm (the arm holding the top of your stick) tucked in until you decide to use the poke check. This gives attacking players a false sense of security as they think your reach is less then it actually is.

Also, I totally agree with the above user in regards to leaning on your opponent. If it is a non-checking league, you can still pin opposing players to the boards, if you are a big strong guy this will annoy the crap out of them.
This is basically what I came to say. Force the forwards to the outside as much as possible and don't get too focused on one player. Even if you're in no hit leagues, you can still make some contact. Don't get mesmerized by a flashy puck handler, if he tries to go in between your legs or something, just kind of push him off to the side. You can play the body without getting physical. I don't play defense too often but when I do, I usually just play the body since some of the guys I play with are too good with the puck.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote