Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Canucks sign SEL goalie Eddie Läck
View Single Post
Old
05-25-2010, 08:31 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I can't speak for Schneider, but if I was in his free-agent shoes, the last thing I'd be doing would be re-signing with a team where I'm going to be opening the bench door for somebody else every night for the next ten years.

And, knowing that I was a free agent and knowing that my team knows that I'm a pending free agent, I'd take my team's signing of another goaltender as a slap in my face. To me, that's Vancouver telling Schneider, "we're not going to offer you any kind of a significant raise, and if you don't want to take the role as Luongo's understudy, we'll give it to Lack."

If the Blues don't offer-sheet Schneider at 12:01 AM on July 1, they're either nuts, or completely asleep at the wheel...
Schneider already had the option to exercise his right to become a free agent and not sign with the Canucks, but he showed loyalty and did so despite knowing he was behind Luongo on the depth chart. Clearly he values this environment as an opportunity to develop behind a great goaltender and backing up next season is simply the next step.

I don't know how Lack being signed would offend Schneider in any way. He's trying to transition into the NHL, why would he be concerned about someone being brought in to fill a role he is vacating?

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote