Old
05-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
You're the one being irrealist. Lowballing Halak after all what happened with Walsh could really, really hurt us. Even if Halak stays in Montreal, you can be sure Walsh will do anything possibly imagineable to ruin our chances to get a huge return for him. He wants his client to be #1 next season.
After some of what happened this year, I wouldn't be too surprised if Walsh is on thin ice already as Halak's agent. I'd have fired him if I was Halak. Threatening to derail his NHL career would only be further grounds.

There is nothing to worry about here. But of course I know Habs fans love to have something to get excited about. Halak can get a fair bridge contract from the Habs based on his age and NHL experience, either through fair negotiations (with no empty threats) or through salary arbitration. It's not a worry either way, his market value is reasonably set, and if he comes back with a strong, full season as a #1 next year he'll get his full-up #1 goalie salary on his next contract.

Price is a good young prospect/backup, and he is also easily retained through the existing process.

There is really nothing to get excited about here. Gauthier would have to go pretty far out of his way to mess this up and fail to bring both guys back affordably next year.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote