Thread: Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Yann Sauve
View Single Post
Old
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Those seem like pretty underwhelming improvements don't they? 36 points for a guy with NHL size playing his 4th year of Junior doesn't exactly jump out at me. Looking at those numbers I wouldn't expect much in the way of offense at the NHL level.

How good of a shutdown defensemen should we expect out of a player with questionable hockey sense and decision making in his own end? Sounds to me like a clone of Shane O'Brien. What does Sauve possess that O'Brien does not?
I really don't think there is that much between SOB and Sauve. Remember O'Brien was a pretty highly regarded player in his younger days. Remember the return Anaheim garnered for him? He just never matured. Like Gillis said, he has the tools but hasn't been willing to put it together and do what it takes to become a solid top-4 NHL defencemen. Sauve has a very similar skill set, although I would say he's less aggressive and more of a positional guy. Hard to judge as the Q and the O are much different leagues. But he's got the tools, as did SOB, the question is will he figure out how to use them?

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote