Thread: Speculation: My Wild picks (Mod Note Post #51)
View Single Post
Old
05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
I say double down. Russians are going to drop for the exact reasons stated. However, teams lose Russians because they treat them like other players. I'm not saying you give special treatment, but an organization has to realize that it's an asset and that you need to maximize that asset.

If you trade some assets like Harding, Sheppard, Bouchard for 2nds and 3rds, and traded down, you can.

It's completely possible to grab 4 or 5 very talented Russian forwards in the first 3 rounds.

I'm not saying they will all be buddies or that they all will play together or even that they all won't bolt for the KHL, I'm just saying that they are more likely to stay and play in N.A. if they realize the team is making a commitment to Russian players.

Within one draft, we could completely restock Houston with forward talent (to go along with its AHL talent and future NHL grinders like Gillies, and soon to be Sheppard,). Maybe in two or three years, one or two of those Russians can make on impact on the Wild.

That's actually probably safer than putting all our eggs into a single N.A. high talent forward, and then drafting a bunch of NHL bottom-6 forwards with our 2nd-7th round picks.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote