View Single Post
Old
03-13-2005, 01:27 PM
David A. Rainer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
He's more Modry right now than Sydor, or whoever he's been compared to. He's young, but he's got some work to do defensively and when he has possession of the puck before you guys will ever really want to see him in LA.
I've heard Sydor, Redden and Zubov as comparisons.

No one thought he would be the second coming over night. It takes time to smooth out rough edges to any player. Even if/when he makes it to the NHL, he'll probably have another 3 years in the NHL before he really reaches the full potential. Everyone I have ever talked to about Grebs from the Kings say these two things: 1. he still needs to work on handling physical pressure better; 2. irrespective of #1, wow! this kid can do some awesome things when pushing/moving the puck; and 3. the problems he is having are identifiable and correctable with coaching.

This may sound a little crazy because of the way some of you feel about AM and how he handles kids, but I think the quicker Grebs can get into AM's hands the better. I think some of the same issues that plagued Frolov when he first came over are plaguing Grebs and I think AM's work ethic style might do wonders for Grebs. It's kind of like immersion philosophy of learning a second language - sometimes people just learn better when forced to sink or swim. You can't do this will all prospects as some will just give up on it. But from what I've read from Grebs former russian coaches and what I've heard from people who followed Grebs in russia that the kid is tough as nails when it comes to mental pressure (even though he might be suffering from occassional on-ice mental lapses). I think the same thing was/is said for Dustin Brown.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 03-13-2005 at 05:02 PM.