Old
05-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Darth Joker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Mmmm

From 89 to 03 we had prospects such as :

Markov, Schneider, Theodore, Koivu, Ribeiro, Cassels, Leclair, Brisebois, Rivet, Vokoun...

In 03 we have :

Kostitsyn X 2, Price, Plekanec, Latendresse, Lapierre, Halak, Higgins, Komisarek

Now it's still early but if anyone turns out like Schneider or Markov I'll be extremly surprised and until that happens, you can't possibly herald the last few years of drafting as anything but middle of the pack drafting of average players.

S. Savard got a lot more homeruns with lower drafting spots. Even Houle got some decent players with Markov, Ribeiro. I haven't seen any homeruns from Timmins yet or anything that looks like it minus maybe Price, but that was a top 5 pick and goalies are really fickle.

But yeah, so far, there is really nothing to be impressed about at all. I honestly don't understand what all of you are so happy about.
The problem is that you're comparing a 14 year span (89 to 03) to a 7 year span (04 to present day). Naturally the longer time span will have more players of note.

However, even comparing those players...

Latendresse may very well end up as good as LeClair.

Plekanec is around the same level as Cassels, Koivu, and Ribeiro.

I'd take Price and Halak over Theodore and Vokoun.

Though very different players, I think that a guy like Komisarek is just as valuable to a team as a guy like Schneider is (just for entirely different reasons).

Rivet and Brisebois were Ok 2nd pairing guys. Likewise, Higgins and AKost were Ok 2nd line wingers (for us).

The only guy on that 89 to 03 list that strikes me as being head and shoulders above the 04 to today list is Markov. One unbelievable late round gem can be a bit of a fluke.

While I'm not as keen on Timmins as some people are, at least he rarely produces complete and utter busts like Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, and Eric Chouinard. I was fearful that Chipchura would join their illustrious ranks, but his career has been revived in Anaheim.

But I agree that Timmins doesn't produce many home-runs sadly. But at least he's like a good lead-off hitter: he doesn't completely strike-out often either.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote