View Single Post
Old
05-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

vCash: 500
It would be a bitter pill to swallow.

This year's WC was just awesome for me. I saw many players I only knew from TV/the internet live. It was amazing to see players like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Jagr, .... and for me Tim Kennedy and Tyler Myers live. That's why the WC is great for European fans, they have a chance to see the best players live. It's important for hockey to promote itself because soccer is a huge competitor in almost every European country. The best and easiest way to promote a sport is to show the sport in perfection on TV/in the arenas.

Moreover it doesn't make sense for Canada/the USA to stop playing at the WC's. If people don't care they can blow the tournament and no one would be offended at this. Canada doesn't have to win the tournament. I think it was a good idea to send young players like Tavares, Duchene, Myers, Stamkos, Kane,... to Europe among some established NHLers like Perry, Burns and Whitney. It's doesn't hurt the development of these young players and other Canadians like Whitney, Burns or Mason have a chance to present their home country. I think Canada doesn't have a disadvantage if they participate in the WC. As long as people don't care, they don't have to win. If people started to care, they would send their best players and would most likely finnish with a medal.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote