View Single Post
Old
05-30-2010, 05:46 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
It was right at the start. De Haan would have likely been there at 16, but it goes back to what I said in a different thread about Cuma and NJD, perhaps we told them we'd draft De Haan unless they moved up because we knew who they wanted.
Its very poor value(3rd and 7th) for moving down from 12 to 16. GMCF also identified Leddy as TT's guy, so it doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, he could have gone by 26, but there would have still been equal/better options at 26 than him. And who could have we been waiting on? Kassian and Kulikov fell right into our laps and instead we moved down.
I don't get how it's such a bad value though. What would you consider good/fair value?

Quote:
I have nothing against Chuck Kobasew, and don't feel the trade was terrible value, but it was quite clear we were not going to make the playoffs. So why make the deal? Just tank the year. The Oilers had higher expectations than us, did you see them trying to improve their team? No, they were happy tanking for #1.
I doubt they were "happy" tanking for the #1, sure it's a great consolation prize for a horrible season, but I'd take our season over a horrible, horrible season that's just my opinion though.

Quote:
I'd rather have nothing than Cam Barker. I know its harsh, but I see another Kurtis Foster, more or less. A Pylon with a shot, who refuses to use his size.
Or, more like a Leddy over Barker. That stance is understandable, but I still think that Barker could be very, very good.

Quote:
Who can we move? GMCF was involved in acquiring Zanon and Barker, while re-signing Zidlicky and Stoner. So that leaves Nick Schultz, well overpaid with 4 years left, or Brent Burns, the guy GMCF has identified that he'd like to build the D around. So how do we move Schultz with his contract?
I think we could move him for something, not really sure what as I think he can get us something. I want him moved, but others would rather see him on the ice in the last 2 minutes than our other defenseman, I don't feel the same way, I'd like to just trade him for a prospect or pick, but I realize we would most likely have to take some salary back. We'll see what GMCF does this summer.

Quote:
Oh, if we were going to take Nick Leddy at 12 then yes, the trade down was better than nothing. The key is it was poor value, and at that kind of value I'd rather have seen us draft Kassian(seeing as how we couldn't afford to give Kulikov a spot). And yes, its a good thing TT is gone.
We were severely handcuffed by not having a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and it's nice that we have 2 2nds and a 3rd this year. They will be key rounds, but I think that we weren't really dealing from a position of power. GMCF most likely knew that he was going to take Leddy, and thus traded down for a 3rd and a 7th. I still like the move and think it's okay value.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote