Thread: Switzerland: Swiss hockey players in NHL/AHL
View Single Post
Old
05-31-2010, 06:55 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion681 View Post
Stephan has a bit more experience than a 23 years old from the AHL and also wouldn't you want, as a backup at least, a netminder that was able to beat Canada at the WC (which is way tougher than say for example beating the Providence Bruins)?
Yes Stephan does have more experience than a 22 or 23 year old, but who has the higher ceiling? It would be more beneficial to get a goalie into the NHL at 22 or 23 so that they can gain experience and work toward reaching their potential so that at 25 or 26 they can be ready to take over the starting position at the NHL level.

Being 26 right now, Stephan doesn't have very much room to grow and unless a team doesn't have any goalies that are ready to make the jump and there are no cheap veteran NHLers, then there would be no reason to bring Stephan over.

Honestly, I would love to see him in a backup role in the NHL this upcoming season or next season, but I just don't really see it happening. I think he has the talent to be an NHL goalie, but I just don't think he's the best option for most teams.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote