Thread: World Cup 2012
View Single Post
Old
05-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Nakawick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Blah, blah, blah.......The so called "World" Cup is an invitational tournament that also only includes 8 countries chosen by the NHL, so lots of countries donīt even get a chance to play there.

You might disagree with the World Championship as it is, but please donīt claim that the World Cup is what the WHC should be, because it isnīt.
We will probably never agree, but the World Cup is a much better tournament in my opinion, it involves the best players. We can have different opinions, that is OK. When Canada has won the World Championships there was no big celebration, no parades or people in the streets, nothing like the Olympics or to a lessor extent the World Cup.

There is nothing wrong with the world championships and I hope it remains the same as it is with players volunteering to go and having one each year as it is good for Europe, especially the lower ranked teams. If I was to compare the Hockey tournaments to soccer tournaments, I would say the hockey World Cup is more like the Soccer European Championships with the Olympics in Hockey more equivalent to the World Cup in soccer. The World championships as far as I am concerned is more like annual friendlies.

As for the format of the World Cup, you are right that there will likely be fewer countries in this tournament. i would like to see 8 with each team playing each other. It has been 8 years since Canada and Sweden have played a best on best game. If not an 8 team round robin then maybe 10 or even 12 teams with two groups of 5 or 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Has america ever gotten the IIHF Wcs
I think Colorado held it 50 years or so ago, Canada had it for the 1st time in 2008.

Last edited by Nakawick: 05-31-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote