Thread: World Cup 2012
View Single Post
Old
06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
CanadaRules*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Even if you donīt care, itīs still a wrong comparison. You claim to care for the quality- and therefore you want to see (and see) the teams with the best players on paper in the World Cup of Hockey, however the participants of the Football Euroe are not decided by someone base on quality on paper rather than real games on the pitch. Therefore upsets are bound to happen and usually you have a situation where at least one if not more top Euro national teams donīt play in the final tournament, while some weaker teams might. Example- England didnīt make it to Euro 2008, but was Poland who actually played there a better squad than England at that time? I seriosuly doubt it.

Made up by Canadian is the part when those players are missing only because of the SC play-offs. The fact is that the majority of the teams were missing most of their top players because those players had/or claimed to have different reasons for declining the invite to the national team: injury, family, tired etc. This is not only for the NHL team players out of play-offs already, but true also for many KHL, SEL etc. players who could have been available, but decided not to play or couldnīt play because of injuries. Therefore I cease to see how you can claim that many of the top players were missing , because of the SC play-offs only. The majority of them were not there because they declined to participate for different reasons.

I also care about the level of hockey I will see in the one or ther other tournament, but I care about more than just the quality of the players on paper. What does the playersī quality on paper give me when I have to watch them play in August when theyīre all out of form. I have seen most of our NHL players actually play a game last summer and while it was just an exhibition game against the Slovak league champion it was clear to me that at that time they were not capable of playing world class hockey at that time of the year. It didnīt look to me like they were capable of playing at the level that most of the top teams at the WHC in May usually do actually.
Players who aren't in the playoffs or were eliminated in the 1st/2nd round generally don't go to the WHC due to injuries, a long season, and because the Cup means alot more than a WHC gold around here to the players. Losing in the playoffs leaves players with a big hangover and most dont bother going to the WHC because of that hangover.

CanadaRules* is offline   Reply With Quote