View Single Post
Old
03-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Monkey... please don't read this as an attack, and I know that you are quite knowledgeable about hockey. But a few things you said aren't correct and I will comment on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Ya ok.......so instead of No backwards passing it was no FORWARD passing allowed.......PLUS no Slapshots allowed.......PLUS Goalies playing with no Goalie masks are THREE PRIME EXAMPLES right there for you Sir that the game of hockey in 2005 is not the same Hockey that they played in the Early years of the NHL.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]]
1) Forward passing was allowed in the NHL as early as 1919 (its second season), in the neutral zone.

Forward passing was changed to its modern definition in December of 1929. Since Conacher and Jackson both started playing in 1930, I'm not sure what point you were trying to make about them.

2) Slapshots were never banned in the NHL, they just weren't common. However many stars from the past had fantastically hard shots.

Here's a quote from 4-time all star Hall of Famer Frank Boucher about Conacher's shot: "The thing I remember most about Charlie was his wrist shot. It was frightening. In later years they talked about Boom Boom Geoffrin's shot and Bobby Hull's shot, but Charlie Conacher's was every bit as good" (source: Hockey Compendiun, pg 66).

Another quote: "Conacher had the hardest shot in hockey, a notorious blast that eluded goaltenders and dented rink boards" (source: http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...io&list=#photo).

3) Hainsworth is a bad goalie because the mask hadn't been invented yet? Isn't it fair to assume that if Hainsworth played against modern players, he'd have the opportunity to use modern equipment? If not, we're basically evaluating equipment and not players.

Quote:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy][B]Speaking of Magic you seem to think that those ancient wonders from the 1930s and 1940s will always continue to be the best hockey players that have ever laced up a pair of skates.......ummm Ya......
In 50 years when hockey continues to evolve, will people say "Gretzky and Lemieux played in a weak era with different equipment... they were awful players"? This is a sincere question.

Quote:
todays NHL also includes the best from the ENTIRE world like Russia, Sweden, Finland and the rest of Europe.......the NHL didn't have foreign-born hockey superstars play in their League........does this mean that they weren't good enough?.....no.....
Non-Canadians simply weren't good enough to play in the NHL the mid 1940's, when the Russians starting playing. For an excellent article, go here: http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/puckerings/puck009.htm. The best players from other countries in the world consistently got destroyed by Canadians who weren't good enough to play in the NHL.

Quote: "The first official Olympic hockey championship was held in Chamonix, France in 1924... Canada played against a field of the USA, Great Britain, Sweden, Czechoslovakia, Switzerland, France and Belgium. Canada won all six of their games en route to the gold medal, scoring an average of 22 goals per game while giving up one-half a goal per game. The team was the Toronto Granites, amateur champions of the country. Make no mistake, this team would have been destroyed by the best NHL clubs of the day. They, in turn, destroyed the best of the competition. Canada’s second-best were undisputed world champions."

I have a question for you. (Again, not an attack. This is a sincere question). If you're convinced that players from before 1967 couldn't compete with modern players, why have you decided to participate in an all-time draft?