Thread: Edge work
View Single Post
Old
06-01-2010, 10:51 PM
GrouperTrooper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post
I do not know what the looping roller stop is. Its sounds like you are asking for help with the hockey stop?
Yes the "hockey stop". The hockey stop doesn't work in roller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
playing B level hockey w/o being able to stop or use your edges is amazing! but then again you are playing in FLA and not Canada eh.

you really need to get more ice time (not game) to work on stops, edge work, and skating with your head up.
I can stop. It's just not the crisp "hockey stop". I can accomplish the stop at times, but I'd like to improve. Like I said I've played the game for a few years on inline skates, so the basics easily cross over. I've ice skated about 5 times in my life prior to playing my first ice hockey game. There's not a whole lot of difference. I even wear the same roller hockey pants .
Obviously, I'd love more ice time, but it is what it is. Thanks for the illustration I'll work on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
practice putting a lead foot in front of you and turning on it while driving your feet into the ice downwards
This is sort of how I've been doing it during pregame. Rotate on the toes, and drive with the heels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I'm also a self-taught skater, one great resource is this book: Laura Stamm's Power Skating. Inexpensive, and a great resource. She goes into really great detail on how to use your edges, weight transfer, etc for everything you do in skating (forward stride, backward stride, stopping, crossovers). I highly recommend it.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote